This morning, as I was starting my day, the morning news was on. There was a segment (a very short one) on how much stay-at-home-moms are worth. The latest number is "over" $138,000/yr. I'm not quite sure that knowing that figure makes it any easier or more satisfying for me. I'm not one to throw the "look what all I do" in someone's face. I CHOSE what I do. I LOVE what I do. No amount of money can take over the satisfaction of the reason I chose to stay at home to raise my children, be a supporter to my husband and help out with our business. I chose these things because I want my children to see things first hand in the world and learn from their parents firsthand. I want them to experience things that others can't. Go places others don't. I chose it selfishly so that I could steal away some quiet moments and savor the smiles, first words, first steps and everything else that warms a mother's heart. I'm not interested in a debate of who makes a better mom between one who stays home or one who works. I don't live my life for other people, and I would hope that others don't either.
We all make the choices that fit our lives the best and I have respect and admiration for mothers and fathers from all walks. Parenthood is hard. Period. Instead of trying to make ourselves feel better by having a salary that we can tell people we should make, why not try to step back and look at the work we are doing? Look at our children and gauge what the worth of our parenting might be, whether working a job full or part time, or choosing to be home with them.
How much is it worth to you?? To me...there's only one word.
Priceless...
Thursday, May 03, 2007
The Worth of a Mom
Posted by Mamaof3 at 2:39 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
excellent post.
I'll probably link to this one from one of my others...
great post, girl! Amen to it all!
:)
I totally agree! We may never be moentarily rich, but we are rich on other ways...although I have to admit that an extra 138,000 to do it would be nice...lol!
Post a Comment