CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, December 13, 2007

My baby can sign!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanks to the newest addition to our Baby Einstein video collection, my kids are learning to sign! I've conveniently added this into our homeschooling each day and ALL THREE kids are loving it! We only got this video on Sunday. I know. Bad mom! You're not supposed to buy toys/videos just before Christmas, but I've been dying to get this one and had a little extra cash. So I splurged. I kept thinking maybe this would help Cait keep from screeching...if only she could TELL us what she wanted.

We have watched the video all of 3 times since Sunday night. I AM going to start having them watch it each day though...because they're getting it! There's a thing at church going on that's inspired me to get the kids learning to sign. A new member came who is deaf and a group of people are all sitting with her signing away during the service. It amazes me. And makes me feel kind of....um...like a schmuck sometimes. Why haven't I done more to learn to communicate with these people? Therefore...I'm starting small. Baby Einstein will have to be a start!

Fast forward to last night. We were all watching and signing away and CAIT did her first sign!! Did I mention my child is brilliant?! OK. So I know may babies do this...but still..she's mine. What can I say? Parents reserve bragging rights...no matter how silly they may be! Her first sign was baby. And it was adorable! Cutest thing I ever saw! (for today!) Later, she tried signing play..and that was just as cute! She may not be able to get her little hands in exactly the right positions but she's doing it!

I really recommend this video to anyone! It's basic and easy and cute...and obviously works! It never hurts to learn something that can benefit another person in the future. I just hope that I remember this each day. I really do want to be more like those people out there who go above and beyond to reach out to others. Maybe this is my start too....

4 comments:

Holly said...

That's great D.! So exciting--and fun for everyone to learn.

Have you heard of Signing Time? A. really liked those videos...if you'd like to borrow them...

Mamaof3 said...

I remember A. signing when she was little too! I'd love to borrow them!!

silken said...

we have always been intrigued with signing too; taken a couple of beginner classes. If you can get up early on Sunday mornings, there is a signing show on PBS. I can't remember the time-6:30 or 7 am(though I just went to check the listings and I didn't see it on there-forgot the name of it though!)
good luck! it is fun and a great way to communicate when you can't really talk to the kids or need to tell each other in public that you're going to go to the bathroom :)

I know there is a guy that works at the F'wood HEB that is deaf. I don't ever really "talk" to him since I've forgotten too much, but I do wave to him, and told him "thank you" once when he helped me out

JustJosephine said...

That is wonderful! Signing will have to wait, since my kiddoes are currently learning Spanish...it's not easy let me tell you.

Let me rephrase that. It's been relatively easy for them, but not for this old mommy who learned German in High School.

Ha! Yes, you should be proud of all your kids. Sounds like they are learning a lot.